Thursday, August 25, 2011

Self-Defense Tips

Sensei Dean and me (with black hair)
Sensei Dean always told me to keep my Karate and Self-defense simple. He gave some good pointers, like: The only time to turn your back to your opponent is when you are running away...no fancy spinning kicks or punches.
He always emphasized movement. When you get hit, don't stop! Keep moving.



Overtime I discovered my own.

1.  Embrace the fight...
2.  Never back up...
3.  Hit hard and fast
4.  Always assume 3 opponents...so,
5. Don't hang around too long with one guy...drop him fast.
6.  Look and be psychotic with lots of Kiai!
7.  Use a weapon, like a chair, pen, ruler, knife before you use your hands/feet.
8. Cause I'm a small guy...get in close with knees, elbows and headbutts.
9.  Have big friends!
10.  Keep training everyday
11. Kick a guy in the head after he's on the ground...(a groin kick is a high kick on the street)

That's just a few of them...
Hands palm to palm,
Shinzen

1 comment: