Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ryokan and Winter

Thanks everyone who gave me feedback on a title for my next book proposal.

It's been snowing a lot the last few days with 4-5 foot drifts around my house...and in my driveway. Funny how it works that my neighbor one door down has almost zero snow in their driveway and mine looks like I could go downhill skiing.

But, I won't complain. Back in the late 1700's Zen recluse, Ryokan wrote some poetry about his winter experiences. I will share.

"No begging in town today.
The snow falls and falls.

I lie down near the hearth
and stretch out my feet to the fire,
But still the cold pierces my belly."

Hands palm to palm,
Shinzen

2 comments:

  1. Nice post and poem!

    No snow here right now...the cold spell is, seemingly, over...and the sun shines; it feels autumnal now. I would love to be able to pop over for a quick ski with you, although the begging will have to wait till the weather's a little more clement... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto with Doug. I particularly enjoyed the simple poem.

    Nah hope this comment can post well :)

    _/|\_

    ReplyDelete