Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Changing of the Guard

Sensei Micik receiving the Broken Bokken
Last evening I turned over the Broken Bokken Dojo to Sensei Verna Micik. She has been a student of the arts for 10-11 years now. She is one of the most dedicated students I ever had. Even when she blew out her knee last year and was in a lot of pain, she still showed up at the dojo. She is tough...period.

In a brief 'ceremony' I turned over our Dojo's symbol, a Broken Bokken to Sensei Micik. It is so appropriate that she recieves the bokken since she and her son, Rick (also a Shodan) came up with the name of the dojo.

Sensei Micik

Verna broke the first bokken at the dojo....it was funny. When the bokken broke, she thought she was in trouble and felt so bad. When I told her it was a good sign that she was training hard and rejoiced, I think I unleashed a tiger.

Sensei Micik is going to do real good!

Hands palm to palm,
Shinzen

No comments:

Post a Comment